Sugar Daddy—Who Sugar Daddies Really Are?
Who is a sugar daddy? Most people would say it’s a rich man dating younger girls. That’s true, however, this is not the only thing you should know about a sugar daddy before becoming or meeting one, and we explain them all in this guide.
Here are the best sites to become a sugar daddy:
Best for newcomers
Best for dating married people
Best baby to daddy ratio
What is a sugar daddy?
A sugar daddy is a successful man, usually in his 40-60s, who wants to date a younger partner(s), a so-called sugar baby(ies) and who is ready and can afford to compensate them for their time. Time in this context refers not only to intimate relationships, but also to dates, conversations, texting, etc. A perfect script of a relationship for most sugar daddies also incorporates affection, chemistry, friendship, and companionship.
Where to find a sugar daddy?
There are a few options, but despite the fact that meeting through friends and casual sugar dating still works for some sugar babies and sugar daddies, most prefer to use the best sugar daddy sites. Here are 5 platforms where you have a good chance of meeting a lot of legit potential sugar partners:
- . This is the world’s largest sugar daddy site and one of the safest one. Currently, over 10 million legit sugar babies and sugar daddies are using it, so if you choose it, too, you automatically get access to the best dating pool and some special features, like Secret Albums and profile boost.
- . It is also considered one of the best sugar daddy sites in terms of safety. All new members must add at least a few real photos, and video verification (videos can be watched by all members) is encouraged.
- . This is a top sugar dating website and app for those who’re looking for non-exclusive relationships and privacy protection. Though some members are still looking for non-compensated affairs, the number of sugar daters is growing, and special features like privacy protection system or Priority Messaging work well enough for them, too.
- . This is an upscale dating site for sugar daddies looking for real dates and sugar babies who’d like to get paid right on the site. A sugar daddy can place a bid, and if a sugar baby accepts it, they’ll meet in real life. Refunds are guaranteed to users whose dates are canceled for some reason.
- . This is one of the best sugar dating sites that is good both for local and international dating. EmilyDates has members worldwide and some interesting features, including first date gifts ideas, virtual gifts, private albums, advanced search, and more.
All the sugar daddy websites on the list have their benefits and special features. A sugar daddy or a sugar baby just should choose the platform that will meet their specific criteria and expectations.
4 types of sugar daddy
There’s a classification of sugar daddies that is mostly based on the types of relationship a sugar daddy is looking for, a partner he’d like to date, and the amount he’s ready to pay to a sugar baby. We explain all these differences and peculiarities below.
A typical sugar daddy
This is the most common type of benefactors looking for a sugar relationship. They want to date younger women, expect them to be their part-time or full-time girlfriends and are ready to compensate them for their time, whether by sending monthly payments or paying for each date.
Online sugar daddy and/or a platonic sugar daddy
Though most sugar daddies are looking for real-life sugar relationships, there are exceptions. In particular, there are platonic sugar daddies and/or online sugar daddies.
- A platonic sugar daddy may be looking for real dates or online dates with a sugar baby, but in both cases, he’s not interested in sexual interaction—communication and companionship are what they are focused on.
- An online sugar daddy is a man who’s not going to meet a sugar baby in real life, but he’s not necessarily a platonic sugar daddy. In particular, he may be looking for virtual sex.
Both platonic and online sugar daddies still pay for dating a sugar baby, but the rates are usually much lower.
Gay sugar daddy
In most cases, a gay sugar daddy is just a sugar daddy looking for a male sugar baby—a younger and attractive same-sex partner. However, a gay sugar daddy can also be a platonic and/or online sugar daddy.
What is a Salt daddy?
First and foremost, a sugar daddy is a successful man who makes enough money to allow dating a sugar baby. Most sugar babies ask for around $2,500 (that’s just an average monthly allowance that can vary greatly from city to city), hence, a sugar daddy must earn enough to cover such expenses.
Salt daddies are men who’d like to date a sugar baby, like the very concept of a sugar relationship, but don’t earn enough to pay an amount that an average sugar baby would expect to get. They have regular jobs and average income, so a sugar baby dating a salt daddy can’t expect to get more than $500-$1,000 and visit fancy restaurants instead of moderately-priced ones.
How old is a sugar daddy?
According to the statistics, the average age of sugar daddies is 45, and around 35% of sugar daddies were married. Today, many men get rich at a younger age, so the average of sugar daddies on sugar daddy sites may be around 42-43.
How to be a sugar daddy?
Generally speaking, there are only a few common rules:
- He should earn enough—an average sugar daddy earns around $250,000, and an average sugar baby asks for around $2,500 of monthly allowance.
- He should set the priorities—the only way to find the right partner is to know exactly what you expect from a relationship, from the frequency of dates to your own do’s and don’ts.
- He should follow the rules of the games—a good sugar daddy cares about a sugar baby’s financial security, fulfills his obligations, and enjoys his relationship with one or multiple partners.
The easiest way to become a sugar daddy is to find the right sugar daddy site, create an attractive profile, use search to find the best potential partners, communicate with them online, and then meet in real life. Note that a sugar relationship will work as they’re supposed to work only if a sugar daddy is completely honest about what he expects from a relationship.
What do sugar daddies look for?
Every sugar daddy has his own expectations about a perfect sugar baby and a perfect relationship, but there are a few common things that most benefactors are looking for:
- Youth and beauty in all its shapes and sizes. First and foremost, a sugar daddy is looking for an attractive partner, but the criteria of attractiveness may vary.
- Positive emotions. A sugar daddy wants to enjoy a romantic relationship without its side effects—jealousy, control, demanding behavior, etc.
- Sexual intimacy. In most cases, that’s what a sugar daddy expects, too.
- Good communication. Here’s another important fact about sugar daddy dating—if a sugar daddy is looking for a long-term partner, compatibility, intelligence, and similar interests matter to him, too.
So, this is what a sugar daddy usually expects, and most importantly, what he usually gets after finding the right sugar baby. Again, every person may have special expectations, and that’s why it’s so important to discuss the terms of a potential arrangement with each sugar daddy or a sugar baby who seems attractive to you.
How much do sugar daddies pay?
As we’ve mentioned in our guide on a sugar baby allowance, the total amount a sugar baby will get for a month or a year of dating largely depends on multiple factors, in particular, the type of relationship. Also, here are the things that affect the costs directly:
- Appearance and age. The younger and the more attractive sugar baby, the more she’s likely to earn.
- Education and intelligence. As we’ve noted previously, sex and affection aren’t the only thing that matters. Many successful men are looking for a companion, so self-development matters, too.
- City. The larger the city, the richer it is, and the more people have to spend there, the higher the sugar rates are.
- Frequency of sugar dates. If a sugar baby meets a sugar daddy once a month, she’ll earn less than a sugar baby who meets her sugar daddy twice a week.
- Type of payment. There’s PPM, and there’s monthly allowance. Of course, a sugar daddy who chooses PPM is likely to pay a few hundred dollars, while monthly allowance is usually a few thousand dollars. Again, the total amount spent on a sugar baby depends on the number and frequency of dates.
Still, if we’re talking about an average allowance, most sugar daddies pay sugar babies $2,000-$5,000+ per month, $300-$600 a date, if a couple chooses PPM.
Are sugar daddies legal?
Generally speaking, yes, sugar daddies are legal. Let’s take a look at the most common scenario:
A sugar daddy meets a sugar baby on a sugar dating site. The site is legal because it just provides online dating services, no more and no less. They chat, get a bit closer to each other, have a date, and it doesn’t necessarily end with sex. They meet a few more times or start going out regularly depending on the type of relationship they both are looking for. It’s never blatantly paid sex though—they usually have dinner, chat, go somewhere (even on vacation), and usually keep interacting from time to time online.
As you can see, it’s not like sex work, which, of course, is illegal. The thing is, the sugar dating script incorporates all those things that we’ve previously mentioned—dates, conversations, often friendship, support, and companionship. Sex is not the main or at least not the only purpose of the meeting, and money that a sugar baby gets from a sugar daddy isn’t a payment for sexual favors. It’s considered a gift, and by the way, it’s also taxable as a gift (only if you exceed your lifetime gift limit or pay more than $15,000 of gift money to one receiver).
Also, there was no single case where a sugar daddy or a sugar baby was criminally prosecuted for having a sugar relationship. But what about the couples who meet for sex only? The answer is simple—they just don’t have a sugar relationship.
How does a sugar daddy relationship work?
Sugar relationships may be different. After all, the idea is to start a compensated relationship that will work for two people, whatever their preferences are. Still, there’s a common scenario, too:
- A sugar daddy and a sugar baby meet on a dating website.
- They chat online, get a bit closer, learn more about each other’s expectations, and discuss some basic terms of a potential arrangement.
- They meet offline, somewhere in the city, talk, and make sure there’s that chemistry between them.
- A sugar daddy and a sugar baby start dating on their own terms.
This is a simple scheme, but it works for the majority of people seeking mutually beneficial relationships.
Do sugar babies sleep with sugar daddies?
In most cases, yes, they do. However, there are some important facts that both sugar daddies and sugar babies should be aware of:
- This is always discussed before you start a relationship. There is one thing that distinguishes sugar relationships from all other types of relationships—potential partners should discuss all the important terms of an arrangement, including this one.
- A sugar baby can delay intimacy or end it. Successful men dating sugar babies, and sugar babies themselves should always keep in mind that a sugar baby isn’t a sex worker, and sex is one of the important yet not the only element of a sugar relationship.
- A sugar baby isn’t get paid for sex only. Again, sugar relationships are also about authentic feelings (not love but companionship, friendship, and even just fun you have together). Sex isn’t a duty but an option—that’s how both partners can really enjoy their relationship and make it last longer.
- Some sugar babies and sugar daddies don’t get physically intimate. It’s rather an exception than a rule, but as we’ve previously noted, there are online sugar daddies and sugar babies, as well as platonic sugar babies.
In most cases, a sugar baby has sex with a sugar daddy, but all the aspects that we’ve mentioned above must be considered, too.
Today, a young and attractive man or a woman can easily find the right sugar daddy, and a rich man can easily find the right sugar baby. You just need to find a sugar daddy app or site that works for you, use the advanced search feature, and find the best matches. However, it’s crucially important to do background research and remember about all the aspects of sugar dating, so use the information provided in this guide to avoid mistakes and have the best sugar dating experience.